Sunday, February 03, 2013

DNB ~ the new hand crank!

Meet "DNB"!!! My new to me - Seamstress Rotary Hand Crank by National Sewing Machine Company of Belvidere IL.

So..........what does DNB stand for??? "Does Not Bounce"

We headed out early on Saturday to met the kids at a auction and after viewing everything, we headed out on our own to another venue. At the last booth, I spied a machine cover and went into stealth mode ~ half hiding, back turned to any onlookers ( you know, the ones that aren't interested in anything except what you're looking at....annoying) I lifted the case off and there she was!!! $30.....mine, all mine!! Checked to make sure she had all her bits & pieces, slow on the crank but that's to expect - just needs OIL!!!

Told hubs I was going to drag it to the cash as I've experience that 'oh, it will be there when I wander back in 5 minutes'......told him I was going to CARRY IT  BY THE BOTTOM as it wasn't locking properly on the one end.


Yah....you know the rest. It wasn't me that was carrying it by the handle. 30 odd pounds screaming for it's life, one very old & weak lock and.........................DNB!!! About 5 feet away from the cash....and you know....lovely to look at, lovely to hold, but if you break it.....consider it SOLD!! So, I got a good deal.....10 things for $30 bucks...LOL LOL!!!

I've taken the front light off - interesting - it's a Singer light that was screwed on & I'm wondering if the two screw holes were actually added later. God, the thought of drilling into this - ugh!!! And I've removed the motor at the back, for the time being. This machine will fit into my grandmother's treadle base that holds the Eatonia. Both are made by National and the base measurements are the same, so a score there.  Just signed onto several yahoo groups and a ravelry group that deals with these machines. A small problem with the bobbin area needs to be addressed and I'm hoping it's good to go with just a few more adjustments!

I'll post better pics in a few days, I'm still a little peeved at the lost of the base....will be looking at what repairs I can do, if any. SIGH !!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment