Friday, February 24, 2012

Couch Potato Hand Quilting Blues!

I completed this quilt top several years ago and started to machine quilt it. Opps, the 1st quarter of the quilting went sorta well - first time quilting on the machine with the darning foot. The 2nd quarter - well, I think I was getting a head of myself and the puckers on the back started to creep in. So, after starting the 3rd quarter and checking the back - WOWSER - pucker city. I unpicked and unpicked and made a complete mess of threads everywhere....and tried again. Many unpicking and restitching later and I basically HATE this quilt now.

At first I loaded it on my quilt stand ( sorry, forgot name of the darn thing - it's boxed back up and in the attic ) and tried to do a baptist fan on it. Not happening. I replaced the backing material as the original was a heavier cotton and I think that threw me off. But, the magic just isn't happening with this quilt and at this point I don't care!!!!

It's in the hoop and sits on the rocker when I'm not working on it. I am hand quilting it whenever my butt hits the couch, rocker, dining room chair. It's getting done. And my stitches are not pretty....whatever, it's getting done. And I don't feel guilty - funny eh!!! I'm Canadian ~ I'm allowed to say EH !!

Hopefully this weekend I'll be organised with my napkin sewing as I have 100+ to make for an up-coming party in May. I'm thinking a trip to Fabric land is in my near future ( heck - their sales start on the 27th - DOH) I need to check out white cotton fabric for the napkins and kelly green fabric for the triangles that will be sewn on the corner front to hold the cutlery. Still have to fiddle with that ......!

Our weather has been totally weird this winter. Mild for most of it, and snowless also. I'm a 4 season gal and love to  cross country ski and snowshoe in the winter. Hasn't happened so far and we haven't travelled up north to visit sister and family who have SNOW.  Fingers crossed that we will get one good snowfall before spring sets in for good.

No comments:

Post a Comment